Smoked food is the star of the table. But most people do not like the perks of smoking food. As you already know in an electric smoker, meat is cooked at the lowest temperature. This adds smoky aroma to your food. You can use charcoal or electric smoker; however, the charcoal smoker is the traditional one, an electric smoker is based on technology. Hence you can use an electric smoker because it is the easiest way to cook delicious food. But they need maintenance and great care because they can produce maggots and molds. But no need to worry you can use these four best ways to clean a smoker. 🙂
4 Best Ways to Clean a Smoker
Here you will learn the best and easiest ways to clean the electric smoker so that you can cook delicious and juicy food. Follow these methods, and you will find the difference.
Removing mold from the Electric Smoker
Having mold in an electric smoker is common these days. When you keep your electric smoker in the storage by keeping it packed no air could circulate inside so it will produce a mold for you. Cleaning mold is not at all a challenging task. Keep following the steps, and you will have a clean mold free electric smoker.
- Heat the electric smoker because mold does not like heat, for this cover the electric smoker and heat it for a while most of the mold will leave the racks by heating.
- After a heating wait for the electric smoker to get cool and then clean it with a brush or a clean, dry cloth.
- Use warm soapy water and damp cloth to clean the inside of the electric smoker for removing the remaining mold. You can also use a brush for this.
- Once you clean all the mold from it clean it again with a clean, dry cloth and keep the electric smoker in the garage or a shed so that some air circulates in it.
- Pre-heat the electric smoker again before using so that all the germs and bacteria or any remaining mold gets killed and you have delicious hygienic food.
This is the easiest way to clean the mold from the electric smoker and if you do not want it again, then keep the electric smoker at a place where air circulation is easier.
Apply apple cider or vinegar to clean the electric smoker
An electric smoker is a hassle-free way to smoke the meat. But cleaning the electric smoker after barbeque party is a hard nut to crack. Smoking meat for several hours left stubborn stains and residue on the grill. That residual material creates a home for germs. This might be a disgusting picture, but you do not need to worry there is a quick and easy way to clean the electric smoker using apple cider vinegar because it is the natural cleaner and disinfectant.
- Take a spray bottle and add some hot water in it and add the same amount of apple cider vinegar in it.
- Spray the mixture of apple cider and warm water inside the electric smoker and wait for 5-10 minutes. This mixture will clean all the grease and debris on the electric smoker.
- Use a clean cloth to clean the debris and grease. This will also eliminate the foul smell from the smoker.
- Leave the smoker open for a few minutes to dry up the grill and better air circulation.
Clean the electric smoker using oven cleaner
You might be thinking to clean your electric smokers with oven cleaners because both of them are almost similar. Oven cleaners are specifically designed for cleaning and disinfecting the oven so that no bacteria remain inside the oven. But the residual chemical in the oven cleaner could be harmful to your health also caustic soda used in the oven cleaner could produce bitter taste to the food. In the electric smoker, food is placed directly on the racks; hence the food will get more chemical from the oven cleaner.
Follow these steps if you need to clean the electric smoker from oven cleaner;
- Spray the oven cleaner inside the electric smoker and let it rest for 2-3 minutes.
- Use a cleaning brush or a clean damp cloth to clean the debris and remove the dirt.
- Clean the inner of the electric smoker with water; it is best to remove the grids and rinse them under flowing water.
To clean maggots in the electric smoker
Electric smokers use moisture to add juice tender in your meat. To add a juicy tender, it has a drip pan which collects excess marinate juices and moisture. This moisture also works as creating home for maggots. This sounds disgusting, but maggots can make their way to your unclean electric smoker.
Use the following steps to prevent your electric smoker from maggots;
- Wear safety gloves and mask. This will reduce your chances to have direct contact with maggots.
- Remove residual food from the racks and heat the electric smoker this will burn all the maggots, their eggs and germs.
- Mix liquid soap and bleach with warm water in a spray bottle. Spray it on the inside compartment of the electric smoker and leave it for 10 minutes.
- Use a scrubber or damp clean cloth to wipe off the burnt maggots and get a clean electric smoker.
- Once again heat your electric smoker at the highest temperature because this is the best way to disinfect your, electric smoker, from maggots.
You might be wondering how often should you follow these steps or how often should I clean my electric smoker; hence the answer is to clean your electric smoker thoroughly after every single-use. As the food makes direct contact with the grill and dirty grill is the den of germs and bacteria. Hence for preventing this situation and getting a lump of delicious juicy meat clean your electric smoker before and after using it. But wait! Don’t get burnt. Keep calm and wait for your smoker to cool down first then start cleaning them. Because safety comes first. 🙂